1. Maker's Mark Distillery - A distillery tour is always an interesting lesson in Kentucky culture and history. Located in Loretto, KY, the Marker's Mark Distillery is breathtakingly beautiful. (The picture below is of the barrel warehouse.)
2. Three Chimneys Farm - The horse industry is huge in Kentucky, and Three Chimneys Farm is a great place to learn more. Located in Midway, KY, Three Chimneys offers tours of their fascinating operation for a nominal fee. (The picture is of a monument to Seattle Slew, triple crown winner, who lived at Three Chimneys Farm for a number of years.)
3. Jackson's Orchard - Located in Bowling Green, KY, Jackson's Orchard is open from mid-April through November. You'll find in-season fruits, all sorts of tasty goodies, and fun for people of all ages.
4. The Highlands of Louisville - This is just one of those really cool spots. It's super artsy - art galleries, tattoo shops, coffee shops, bookstores, one-of-a-kind restaurants, etc. It's like a small town within a big city.
5. Rockhouse Bottom - Also known as Creelsboro Natural Bridge on the Cumberland River, this place is a bit off the beaten path, but it's so worth the effort to get there! (Picture 1 below is a view approaching the natural bridge. Picture 2 was taken from the other side of the bridge.)
6. Big South Fork Scenic Railway - We loved this train tour of an old coal mining community. The camps have been closed for a long time, but this railway is preserving a huge piece of Kentucky History. This is a great trip for a family.
7. Pikeville Cut-Through - I haven't seen this one personally, but someday I'd like to. This was a massive engineering, earth-removal project (second only to the construction of the Panama Canal) that moved 18 million cubic yards of earth. It created 400 acres of usable land for city expansion, improved transportation, and eliminated the yearly flooding of the Big Sandy River which ran through the town. Click HERE to view a video overlooking the area of the cut-through.
Have a great week! Happy reading & writing!